The Anamet Complex, Waterbury, CT




Hi Everyone!

Its been awhile....I've been working on various projects, always learning new things and growing!

I visited the abandoned Anamet Complex in Waterbury.  As many of you know, I love to go check out older, abandoned places or buildings.  Waterbury is quite interesting to me because there is a lot of history in the huge city known for its now defunct brass industry.  Many buildings are being demolished and/or redeveloped so I hope to get many photos of the city's history before its lost.

The Anamet Complex is located in the south end of Waterbury on South Main Street and runs along the Naugatuck River.  The complex was founded in 1908 and was the home of Anaconda Metal Hose by American Brass.  It became the biggest manufacturer of metal hose in the world, spanning 400,000 square footing along 17 acres on South Main Street, employing hundreds.  The company went bankrupt in 1998 and the complex continues to sit, abandoned.  The land is also contaminated with industrial pollutants.  The City of Waterbury intends to purchase the land and redevelop it. Earlier this year, the complex was under investigation due to multiple fires being set.

 As you can see, the building is quite abandoned, with many broken windows.  To the left is a shot I took of the upper level of the building.

The structure itself still stands sturdy.  I would rather see it redeveloped into something useful rather than being demolished.  There are multiple buildings in the complex, however, I focused on this one because it was the largest and had more character to it that the smaller ones.  It seems that this building has had more visitors to it than the others that were a bit overgrown and difficult to get to.

Inside, there is still much machinery left behind.  It is also the home of many local artists, lol.  There are stairs to go up into the other floors but I have no idea how sturdy they are and wasn't willing to chance it.  Truth be known, the complex is not located in the best area so I wouldn't recommend poking around there alone. My curiosity got the best of me on this one.



I was at the complex probably about an hour or so looking at the graffiti and old machinery envisioning what must have been.  To be in a building that was built in 1908 absolutely fascinates me. It's like going back in time.




More machinery, a bit rusted but in fairly,decent shape for how old it must be.

I have no idea what the structure is that appears to be half embedded into the floor but it certainly caught my eye.  It reminds me of a giant plate. Someone even took the time to decorate it with color and graffiti.






Below is the back side of the building.  There is another entrance in but it was overgrown with brush and debris.  I will continue to keep the complex on my radar.  It is my understanding that the City intends to spend 3.1 million to redevelop and cleanup the complex so I'm curious to see what they do......aren't you?


Til next time,
K

Comments

  1. wow, came across this when reminiscing about my past. I had my very first job here and anamet, 37 years ago.

    looks alot like how i remember it.

    the staircase leading up behind the plate goes to the corporate offices. would have been interesting to see what was left of those. they had a computer room with a mainframe in it and a bunch of office space. (where i worked).

    the plate is the other half of the one on the other side of the room, used to hang hoses. that ladder that goes up to the left went to a grinding room.

    the little room on the right was the tool room.

    so many stories and memories there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, came across this when reminiscing about my past. I had my very first job here and anamet, 37 years ago.

    looks alot like how i remember it.

    the staircase leading up behind the plate goes to the corporate offices. would have been interesting to see what was left of those. they had a computer room with a mainframe in it and a bunch of office space. (where i worked).

    the plate is the other half of the one on the other side of the room, used to hang hoses. that ladder that goes up to the left went to a grinding room.

    the little room on the right was the tool room.

    so many stories and memories there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the pics of this property!! I've been searching everywhere just for the name of what was there, since I drive by it every day for work and I love old buildings as well.

    Thanks to the Waterbury Republican writing up a story on what's happening there, because I couldn't find anything on that property.

    Do you know what's going on further up on E. Liberty St where Montagne Construction has cleared some land and appears a new building is going up?

    Thanks,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Judy! Thank you for reading my post. I don't know what is going on at E. Liberty but now I'm curious and may have to find out and get back to you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rockville, Connecticut: The Hockanum Mills

The Pequabuck Tunnel