50 Shades of Winter

Hi Everyone!

Has this been one long, crazy winter or what?  Last month we had at least one storm a week, unbelievable!  We've seen the weather change from stormy, foots of snow, and dangerously icy to sunny and cold.  This week, we have 50 degree weather one day and bitter cold and wind the next.

Below are pictures that I took over the course of the season....some on cold, snowy days and others later on in the season as it begins to warm up.  You will see some places that I have visited before but during a warmer season.  Places look very different as the seasons change.  My biggest fascination this winter was the Connecticut River.  I visited different parts of the river in different towns and watched how the river froze.  I highly doubt it froze all the way through to the bottom but it definitely appeared to freeze on top, its silence was surreal.

Southford Falls -  It was the first real warm day that we had.  The snow hadn't quite melted all the way yet but it was low enough to be able to walk and get some photographs.
 As you can see, the snow had melted somewhat but still covered this bench....we begin to see some hope, lol.


I like this one in particular because I had found a spot where I heard the water break through ice with some force.  I thought that was pretty cool.


Above is the Connecticut River, I started out in Suffield and worked my way down to Middletown just to see different sections.  The ice chunks and snow mounds were fascinating to see because I can't recall seeing them before.


Some areas the ice began to melt and break apart causing ice chunks.










Other areas as you see above, remained solid.  Here, a boat launch was completely covered and all that can be seen are the top of the poles.  Again, I did not hear any water movement, it was very quiet.

Below, is a photo I shot very early in the morning.  It was very warm out and the fog was beautiful and light shown through.




I caught an early train.....













Last, but not least, on our warmest day there is a beautiful sunset and the river is flowing again....Spring is on its way!!


Have a great night!

Til next time,
K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rockville, Connecticut: The Hockanum Mills

The Anamet Complex, Waterbury, CT

The Pequabuck Tunnel