Beautiful Glastonbury

Hi Everyone!

Can you believe this weather?  Frigid, below temps one minute then a quick warm up and back to the cold again.  Its not as bad as it was this past weekend but cold nonetheless.  Hopefully, Spring is just around the corner.

I've been out exploring again and this time ended up in the Town of Glastonbury.  I grew up there but its been awhile since I've been out exploring the area.  One of my favorite spots is down at the Ferry Landing, the nation's oldest operating ferry service that crosses the Connecticut River between Glastonbury and Rocky Hill.

The ferry doesn't operate in the winter months but I still come down here from time to time just to enjoy the scenery.  There are benches and picnic tables for anyone to come down and relax, read a book or have lunch.  This view is from the Glastonbury side looking over into Rocky Hill.  In the warmer months you are able to walk out on the landing to the right of the piers and sit.  You can see a piece of the landing in the photos. I have never been one to sit for too long on the benches and usually end up out past the piers photographing.




Look at the swirl pattern on the river....I think its beautiful, not quite frozen but not completely thawed yet. Its a very peaceful spot and the perfect place to read a good book if it were warmer out.







This is another photo I took awhile back when I went around to the other side.  It felt a little like being at the beach.  Just on the other side of the brush is the piers that you see above.






Below is a farm that is on the road leading to the ferry landing.  Glastonbury is very picturesque along the river.  I remember when we first moved to town and I couldn't figure out for the life of me what was so good about being away from everything and living in peace and quiet.  My mom loved it and could find everything and anything under the sun to appreciate out there.  She still does, and she still shows me places out there I've never even seen to say that I grew up there.



I was out with my assistants, my mom and my niece, when we ran across an old mill that had a dam running behind it.  It turns out that it was the Hopewell Woolen Mill built in 1836.  The mill was originally three stories high with walls made of granite facade covering a brick and mortar interior.  Today, all that is remaining are the foundation and smoke stack since demolition in 2011.  The town voted to bring the walls down a height between 18-24 inches due to concerns about the stability of the 180 year old structure.

The mill was also the home of J.T. Slocum, a company that produced aircraft parts.

Its my understanding that the town is now looking to get rid of the structure altogether now. I think its a beautiful structure, part of the history of the town and should remain.  As you can see, I was able to walk around and in the structure.  Its something to look through the remains of building from 1836.  It was beautifully crafted. Take a look at the photos I was able to get before we all got too cold, lol.



My niece playing around in one of the empty windows






Look at the beautiful granite.



The Town of Glastonbury has a lot of history to it and much to offer.  Over the years, I have truly learned to appreciate this beautiful town.  If interested, please contact the Glastonbury historical society and save this beautiful, historical structure.

Til next time,
K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rockville, Connecticut: The Hockanum Mills

The Anamet Complex, Waterbury, CT

The Pequabuck Tunnel