Devil's Hopyard

Hi Everyone!

Yesterday I spent the afternoon at Devil's Hopyard State Park located in East Haddam, Connecticut.....what a beautiful place!  The park is free to get into and has plenty of parking.  There are also many picnic tables to hold family gatherings and a camp site that is open mid-April til September 30.  The campground holds 21 sites.

Points of interest in the park are the covered bridge, Chapman Falls and the Devil's Oven.  I love to photograph covered bridges....they are beautiful structures.

This covered bridge was built in 1986 and is 36 feet long.  The bridge crosses over Eight Mile River, which is well known for its brook trout.















The inside of the bridge..........  There is some graffiti but I think its adds some life to the bridge

To the left is a spot I caught on my way up to the Falls.  I thought it was pretty cool because it looks like a mini waterfall.

Chapman Falls is quite stunning and drops more than 60 feet over a series of steps in stone formation.  There are a few legends surrounding the name of the park.  Some of the the most popular are:  a farmer named Dibble who had a garden for growing hops used for brewing beer; the Devil playing his violin at the top of the falls to direct the East Haddam witches brewing up their black magic potions.



Another is the Devil passed by the Falls, accidentally getting his tail wet.  He became so mad that he burned holes in the stones with his hooves.

Of course, we now know that the perfectly cylindrical pothole stone formations were formed by stones moved downstream by the current and trapped in an eddy where the stone was spun around and around creating depressions in the rock.  Over time as this continued to occur the potholes became larger and larger.

 I took a few different angles of the falls as they are just simply breathtaking.  It was mesmerizing as I stood there listening to the rush of water and felt the slight breeze on my face.  If you haven't been there, I highly recommend checking it out sometime this summer.

I plan on returning very soon since I didn't get the opportunity to see the Devil's Oven.  I'll be sure and share it with you as soon as I do so stay tuned!


Til next time,
K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rockville, Connecticut: The Hockanum Mills

The Anamet Complex, Waterbury, CT

The Pequabuck Tunnel