The Stunning Yantic Falls

Hi Everyone,

I want to share with you a place that I had the pleasure of visiting this weekend.  It was much more than I anticipated.  Yantic Falls, otherwise known as Indian Leap, is absolutely breathtaking.  This is absolutely the definition of what a "hidden gem" really is.  I cannot believe I haven't been here sooner!

I took my mom with me on this particular excursion and I think at this point she is convinced I'm out of my mind, lol.  Judging by the look on her face, I seriously doubt she enjoyed me teetering on a ledge to get "that shot".  You have to understand, when I get in "my zone" I'm unstoppable, lol.

This waterfall is breathtaking, to say the least.  There is bridge with railroad tracks that runs right above it.  I'm not certain as to whether or not a train still comes through but the whole scene is beautiful.  Just imagine being on a train looking down  at this waterfall....what a scene!

Something else I find very interesting is that the waterfall is nestled in a residential area of Norwich.  Its not in the woods like you would imagine...there is an entire neighborhood surrounding it.  Further down the street is an old mill factory that has been converted into apartments and an entrance to a 2 mile trail that takes you to the bottom of the water where Indians had settled in the 1600s.  The waterfall is located not too far from a main road so there are streets and houses all around, yet its very tranquil.

The falls also hold a legend between the Mohegan Indians and the Narragansett Indians of Rhode Island. You can learn all about the legend at The Distracted Wanderer.  The legend is fascinating and beautifully written by a native of Norwich.  Its a must read!

I plan on returning in the fall and winter to capture beautiful ice and snow scenes.  It will be much easier to get since there won't be any leaves on the trees.  This time of year, there are limitations in terms of photographs, in my opinion.
 If you do have the opportunity to visit, please be  very careful as there is very little options in terms of getting to ground level with the falls.  I would say its an excellent excursion for the experienced hiker/climber with equipment.

Just above the falls is a little walking bridge which is just underneath the bridge for the train. The bridge is level with the train tracks.

Below are pictures of the bridge and train tracks. The bridge and tracks are set at a diagonal angle crossing the waterfall.  When standing on the walking bridge, the train tracks are to your right at a diagonal angle.  If there is a train that still runs there is a chain link fence that separates it from the walk bridge.





Til next time,
K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rockville, Connecticut: The Hockanum Mills

The Anamet Complex, Waterbury, CT

The Pequabuck Tunnel